Dentistry is a rewarding and challenging profession that offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth. Dentists are not only responsible for diagnosing and treating oral health problems but also for educating patients and the public about the importance of oral hygiene and prevention. Dentists can also specialize in various fields such as orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, prosthodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, and more.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in dentistry, you will need to complete a dental course from dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh, or other states that will prepare you for the academic and practical aspects of the profession. A dental course is a program of study that covers the basic sciences, clinical skills, and professional ethics required for becoming a dentist.
In this guide, we will discuss the benefits of taking a dental course, the eligibility criteria, the admission process, the curriculum, the duration, the fees, and the career prospects of dental graduates in India.
Dental Courses in India: Overview
There are quite a number of dental courses available at both government and private dental colleges in UP and the rest of India. These span several levels – diploma, undergraduate (BDS), postgraduate (MDS and PhD), and certificate.
Take a look at the table below to get an overview of the various types of dental courses you can find in India.
|Levels of Dental Courses
|UG, PG, PhD, Diploma
|3 – 4 years
|Average Course Fee
|INR 2 – 51 LPA
|INR 4.1 – 10 LPA
|Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, Paediatric and preventive dentistry, Public health dentistry, Oral surgery, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Dental Courses
To be eligible for taking a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh and the rest of India, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- You must have completed 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English as compulsory subjects.
- You must have obtained at least 50% marks (40% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology.
- You must have qualified for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) with a minimum percentile score as prescribed by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
Admission Process for Taking a Dental Course
The admission process for taking an undergraduate dental course in dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh and the rest of India is as follows:
- Apply for NEET through the official website of NTA before the deadline
- Appear for NEET on the scheduled date and time at your allotted exam centre
- Check your NEET result and rank on the official website of NTA
- Register for counselling through the official website of the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC) or the respective state counselling authority
- Participate in online counselling and fill in your choices of colleges and courses according to your preference and rank
- Lock your choices before the deadline and wait for the seat allotment result.
- Report to the allotted college with the required documents and fees to confirm your admission
Duration and Curriculum of a Dental Course
The duration of a BDS in dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh and the rest of India is divided into four years of academic study and one year of compulsory rotatory internship. The curriculum consists of nine semesters that cover subjects such as
The internship consists of clinical training in various departments of dentistry under the supervision of senior faculty members. Dentistry interns from dental colleges in UP and the rest of India are also expected to participate in community outreach programs and research projects.For postgraduate programs like the MDS, the duration is usually 2 to 3 years at the best MDS colleges in India. The curriculum of these programs is usually set by the DCI according to the specialisation chosen.
Fees of a Dental Course
The fees of a dental course at dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh and the rest of India vary depending on factors such as:
- Type of college (government or private)
- Location of the college (urban or rural)
- Ranking of the college (national or state)
- The quota of admission (merit or management)
- And finally, the level of the course (undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral)
The average fees of a dental course in India range from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 15 lakhs per annum.
Benefits of Taking a Dental Course
Taking a dental course at dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh like KDCRC can provide you with many benefits, such as:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of the human body, especially the oral cavity and its structures, functions, and diseases
- Develop the skills and techniques to diagnose and treat various dental conditions using modern equipment and materials
- Learn how to communicate effectively with patients and colleagues, and how to manage ethical and legal issues in dentistry
- Opportunity to pursue further studies and specialization in your area of interest or expertise
- High demand and earning potential in the healthcare sector, both in India and abroad
- Flexible and satisfying work-life balance, as you can choose your own working hours and location.
After completing a course from the best private BDS colleges in India, you can pursue various career options, such as:
- Dentists in government or private hospitals, clinics, dental colleges, or research institutes
- Own dental practice
- Pursue higher studies and specialization in dentistry, such as a Master of Dental Surgery (MDS), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), or Diplomate of National Board (DNB).
- Join the Indian Army Dental Corps or the Indian Railways Medical Service
As you can see, while dental courses in India can be quite expensive, they do offer a host of benefits. Flexible work hours and great career scope in India and internationally are just some of those benefits. Sign up for a dental course at Kothiwal Dental College & Research Centre today, if you want a career in dentistry from one of the best dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
- Where is Kothiwal Dental College & Research Centre located?
Kothiwal Dental College & Research Centre is located in Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- How many seats are available for the MDS program at KDCRC?
There are 40 seats available for the various MDS specializations at Kothiwal Dental College & Research Centre.
- What does MDS stand for?
MDS stands for Master of Dental Surgery.
- Do I need to clear NEET for admission to MDS courses?
Yes. You need to clear NEET MDS to get admission to MDS courses in dental colleges in India.