Should I pursue an internship while studying? If you have this question, then read on to know the top 5 benefits of an internship for students.
The India Skills Report 2019 said that 84% of Indian students prefer internships.
The survey, conducted in collaboration with the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), said 84 percent of students in India want to take up the internship opportunity. However, only 37 percent of organizations provide such opportunities to students to sharpen their skills before they come on board as permanent employees, claimed the report.
The benefits of internships for students are numerous. Internships allow students to gain skills that they would not be able to learn in a regular classroom, while employers gain access to low-cost labour and lower recruitment costs. Interns gain experience in interpersonal skills, teamwork, professionalism, and customer service. Students’ communication, confidence, and self-efficacy all improve as well.
Traditional Internships v/s Online Internship
Both traditional and online internships have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. Whereas traditional internships allow you to gain first-hand experience in a professional work setting, online internships allow you to work from wherever you want, whenever you want. Traditional internships can only be done during long breaks, however, online internships can be done all year. Traditional and online internships have numerous differences, yet both provide students with significant professional experience to add to their resumes.
Reasons you should take an internship while studying:
- Gain Experience – During your studies, you will just learn theory and will not gain any practical experience. An internship programme allows you to obtain experience before starting work. An internship allows you to get experience in a company’s work environment and gain a better understanding of its culture.
- Add value to your CV – It goes without saying that a CV with any kind of experience appeals to employers. Most students do not have work experience as fresh graduates; however, many companies offer internships for students to gain the experience they need to begin working.
- Develop Skills – Every organisation looks for applicants with good abilities and a professional appearance. An internship can be a great way to get experience and improve your abilities.
- Boost Confidence– Internships provide you with the necessary experience to begin your career. You will be presenting presentations, creating projects, and suggesting ideas on your own throughout an internship. Doing things on your own and without relying on others can help you gain confidence and improve your decision-making abilities.
- Build Networks – Working in a firm allows you to meet and engage with a wide range of people. You are frequently invited to meetings and events, which allows you to network with more professionals in your field, form new connections, and broaden your horizons.
The labour market is projected to get more competitive in the future years. In this talent competition, a degree may not be enough; you’ll need to participate in an internship programme to achieve the pinnacle of success!
Some of the benefits of internships are:
- Internships can help you improve soft skills like communication, professionalism, confidence, and self-efficacy.
- Employers appreciate interpersonal skills, and interns are thought to require less socialisation and training to help them transition to the workplace.
- Internships were very beneficial for interns’ communication skills, teamwork, customer service skills, and creativity.
- Internships raise the chances of landing a job, but they reduce the chances of pursuing postgraduate education.
- Internships can help you make more money.
- If interns who join professional groups are aided by well–connected mentors who can help them integrate into the community, knowledge transfer is more likely to occur.
In a nutshell, while spending an ample amount of time on exam preparation is necessary for a student, practical knowledge and exposure via internships is equally if not more important. We hope this blog convinces you as to why an internship is important for career growth.