A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is a medical technology used for patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is a disorder that causes the muscles of the upper respiratory tract to collapse temporarily when you are asleep, which may cause the airway to become narrow or even close. Additionally, it cuts off the air supply and restricts your breathing. A CPAP machine pushes out positive gusts of air through a face mask, thus easing your airway.
However, many patients have reported adverse effects while using the CPAP machine. Various complaints are registered about specific brands of CPAP machines, and researchers have analyzed Philip CPAP lung cancer risks. If you have suffered health issues due to the use of CPAP machines, contact an attorney to know how you can take steps to address this.
click here – How to Find Influencers for Your TikTok Marketing Campaigns
Health risks associated with the use of CPAP machines
If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea disorder, your doctor likely recommends you use a CPAP machine to regulate your breathing as you sleep. However, using a CPAP machine can come with various risks:
- A CPAP machine is directly in contact with your mouth and faces the entirety of the night as you sleep. If you do not clean your CPAP machine regularly, you may be vulnerable to developing acne or skin infections due to the build-up of germs and bacteria in the mask.
- Aerophagia is a condition where patients complain of “swallowing” the air. This happens when the CPAP machine’s pressure is higher than normal. A patient may tend to gulp the air to adjust to this pressure, leading to bloating, abdominal pain, and other gastric issues.
- CPAP machines produce a constant flow of air directly into the airway, which causes dryness of the mouth and eyes, leading to discomfort and irritation.
- Using a CPAP machine can cause many patients to develop claustrophobia as the mask covers the entire mouth.
- In many cases, if patients are suffering from a pre-existing and untreated sinus infection, the pressure of dry air from the CPAP machine can cause it to travel to the brain and cause meningitis that can be fatal.
- The materials of the CPAP machine, especially the foam, may wear out with time. The foreign substances on this material can travel into the airway and lungs and even cause cancer.
click here – Reasons why you will prioritise the vegan trend in the fashion world
Using a CPAP machine may come with severe health risks, with the danger of you becoming vulnerable to fatal diseases like cancer or brain infections. Many CPAP machines have been recalled, and you must learn more about the side effects associated with them before you begin to use them.